Saturday, August 2, 2008

Potato Shrimp Cakes : Take 1


When I read Mochachocolata-Rita's recipe on this Oven Fried... oops, Oven Baked Potato Shrimp Cake, I just knew I had to try it. After you've seen my picture above, I'm sure you're just gonna throw them out and ditch this post. But please check out her post first. Her pictures look so yummy, you want to immediately take them off the screen and eat them...

The reason why my Shrimp Cake does not look like Mochachocolata-Rita's is that I did all her instructions except I did not bake them in the oven. (Aside from the fact that I do not really know how to use the camera. I promise I will take up some photography classes soon!) I was too lazy to fire up the oven. I tried baking them in the oven toaster. And even when the first batch was already cooking there for 30 minutes, they did not turn golden brown like hers, but instead got charred!!! So I had to partially cover them up with greens :)

Lesson: Next time, follow cooking instructions.


1 large potato, mashed
1 C small shrimp, peeled, roughly chopped
1 small clove of garlic, very finely chopped
1 small clove of shallot, very finely chopped
1 t salt
1/2 t sugar
1 t white pepper
a dash of ground nutmeg powder
a bit of finely chopped corriander/spring onion
breadcrumbs, mixed with a bit of salt, sugar and pepper
olive oil


1. Preheat oven to 200C.

2. In a bowl, mix everything except the breadcrumbs. Roll into round shapes. Dip in the breadcrumbs and arrange on an olive-oil lined baking pan. Bake until golden brown.


Those were the instructions. As I said, I tried baking in the oven toaster, which failed miserably in looks... but they still tasted good. And I still have some uncooked shrimp-potato mixture left. (Not all the balls fit inside the oven toaster). Instead of using the oven, this time, I pan-fried it in a little oil. (At least it's not deep fried!) After waiting 30 minutes for those oven-toaster little balls, I was a bit impatient, so I did not roll these into little balls but made a big flat disc!!!



Now this tastes way better! I suppose a little more oil does make the difference! :) I can hear Mochachocolatarita saying: Tsk.. Tsk... Not healthy!

By this time, the kids were so impatient, they did not give me time to plate it for a picture...



This is my entry to Bookmarked Recipes, an event featuring recipes we have tried and cooked from a magazine, or a cookbook or from a blog. This wonderful idea was started and hosted by Ruth of Ruth's Kitchen Experiments. Please check out her blog by Monday to see this week's round-up. To see last week's bloggers who got recipes from other wonderful places, please click here.

7 comments:

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

I love the idea of oven-baked shrimp cakes too!

T’s Treats said...

yummy!! They look wonderful. And baked..even better!

Unknown said...

wow pan frying it flat looks delicious too!

this tastes better fried...baking it was just my desperate attempt to make it healthier ^_^

Ruth Strong said...

Wow! I absolutely love the sound of these! Definitely something I want to try making sometime!

Thanks for sending it to bookmarked recipes!

Soli Deo Gloria said...

Thanks everybody for your positive words of encouragement even when I have a kitchen disaster!

Anonymous said...

Hee I think it still looks delicious ... send me a piece please? :D~

Jaime said...

I am going to try a variation of these tonight! They sound fabulous!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs