Monday, March 9, 2009

Mango Yogurt Parfait : Delicious Dessert or Diet Food?



We know summer is nearly here when you see lots and lots of deliciously sweet, and lusciously juicy mangoes in the market. The prices are cheaper, too. (By the way, summer here in this tropical country is from March to May.) Mangoes are my children's favorite fruit. And knowing this, my mom would always give us a couple of kilos of mangoes every week!

Do you know that the Philippines has the best tasting mangoes in the world? You have not tasted a real mango until you have tasted one produced here. I am not bragging. I am simply stating the truth. Even mangoes coming from a certain country south of America has to put "Manila Mangoes" on its label in order to sell. :) Copied but never equaled. So, you better read the fine print when you buy your mangoes.

Anyway, the real Manila mangoes are naturally sweet, and very fragrant. When choosing your mangoes, choose the ones with no blemishes or black marks. And smell the head (the one where the branch was broken off). That spot should be fragrant. If it is, the fruit will be sweet.

Because we have a lot of supply of mangoes, I have taken to eating the mangoes for breakfast. I simply add a healthy cup of yogurt, which is a good source of calcium and healthy bacteria that helps our digestive system and improve our body's immunity against disease. The delicious mango is packed with vitamins and minerals and anti-oxidants. It has very few calories, and fats, making it a very good diet food. It also replenishes salts, vitamins, minerals and energy after exercise.




This is my healthy breakfast -- diet food or delicious dessert??



The first picture of the mango parfait with my favorite rattan place mat is my entry to this month's CLICK photo event with wood as the theme. Do you agree that the rattan mat enhanced the tropical flavor of the mangoes? Please check out Jugalbandi's site for numerous drool-worthy, eye-catching, wonderful pictures and food.

17 comments:

Ivy said...

Lovely click Ning and I've only tried mangoes once so next time I hope I'll find some from the Philippines.

Usha said...

Looks fantastic and inviting , great pictures !

Mary Bergfeld said...

You've given me an idea. I've never had mangoes with sticky rice and I've seen a recipe for that someplace in blogland. When I find it I'll tell them Ning sent me. I love your pictures.

Unknown said...

wow! mangoes from the philippines are so famous here. we have dessert shops who serve almost nothing but phil mango.

Anonymous said...

It's diet food and dessert! Which reminds me: I should get more of the mango Fro-Yo from the Salcedo market soon; with mangoes coming in from Zambales, it's a must!

bee said...

i adore mangoes too. thanks for a lovely entry (and breakfast idea).

Oggi said...

One of the fruits I truly miss is our mango *sigh*. The Mexican ones are Philippine variety hybrid and they taste of our mangoes but a little flowery and not as delicious, of course. We still buy them though because they are the closest to ours. And so true, no mangoes can compare to Philippine mangoes and that's a fact.:)
Beautiful photos of mangoes.

Soli Deo Gloria said...

Thanks Ivy! We export most of our mangoes, so I won't be surprised if you find some in Europe :)

Thanks Usha!

Thanks, Mary! I have tried the sticky rice with mangoes in Thailand, and it was delicious! I would try to make some, but I am trying hard to be on a diet! LOL!

Soli Deo Gloria said...

Hi Rita! I am so glad to know that our mangoes are popular there! :D and it so chi-chi, too, dessert shops? wow!

Hi Midge! Zambales mangoes - Yum, yum, yum! Which do you think is better? Zambales or Guimaras mangoes????

Gosh, Bee! Am so honored to be a part of Click! I do not consider myself a good photographer since I only point and shoot :)

Thanks Oggi! Next time you take a vacation here, make sure its summer, so you'll have lots of mangoes! :)

Anonymous said...

I love mangoes!! I really should try this sometime soon..

Soli Deo Gloria said...

Agree with you, Galatians! It's healthy, too!

Rajee said...

So beautiful and love it.

TS of eatingclub vancouver said...

WOW -- KILOS OF MANGOES PER WEEK! Here, should anyone happen to give us mangoes from the Philippines (via luggage, haha), we would have to rqation them out and nagaagawan pa!

chumpman said...

Yes, mangoes from Philipphines taste better than those from Thailand, Taiwan & Indonesia. I like mango the most among all fruits.

Soli Deo Gloria said...

Thanks Rajee!

Ha ha ha, TS! It is summer and there are tons of mangoes out there! Nabubulok lang! :) I would bring you a luggage full of mangoes (if in season) when I get the chance to go there, as long as you feed me your lovely delicious dishes! :D

Hi Chumpman! I am so very glad you are able to taste Philippine mangoes! :)

trivo_gurl said...

I was looking for a mango recipe and my google search lead to this. I was wondering if you've ever had mangoes from Pakistan? Or India? It's only 'cause I'm from Pakistan and we really know our mangoes. The numerous varieties of it etc. I've tasted mangoes from pretty much all over the world. I've yet to find a mango that is sweeter, more fragrant or more delicious than the ones from my home country.

Just thought I'd share my opinion, in case you haven't tried them.

Great blog!

Cheers,
trivo

best electric car said...

I thought it was an excellent blog, that information has been very helpful in my life, I am a desserts lover, so I really enjoyed this reading, this weekend I want to do one! Thanks for this great moment!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs