Monday, March 2, 2009

Curry Carrot Soup with Wasabi Cream



I got this interesting recipe from a health e-mail newsletter I receive regularly. I am sorry I do not remember which one (which is to say, I subscribe to several :)

What makes this recipe interesting for us Asians is that we usually do not add curry to our cream soups. I think adding a bit of curry to flavor soups is a common thing among western cuisine. I remember posting about a cream soup last year and a reader suggested I add a bit of curry. I also remember a lunch I had with our German missionary friends, where the soup they cooked had a tinge of curry in it. I remember it was delicious! So, I deemed it about time to add some curry into our soup!

Another interesting angle of this recipe is the addition of wasabi cream and mirin. A western soup with an Asian twist! I love this recipe already!


500 gms carrots, peeled, sliced thinly
3 T butter
1 large onion, sliced
1/4 C mirin
4 C chicken broth (substitute vegetable broth to make this truly vegetarian)
2 T grated ginger
1/2 T curry powder
1 - 3 T honey (according to taste)
salt and pepper
1/2 T wasabi powder
1/2 C sour cream
a stalk of green onions, chopped


1. Melt butter in a wok or large soup pot. Add onions and cook until soft. Add the carrots and wine and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the broth, ginger and curry. Bring to a boil.

2. Simmer for 30 to 40 minutes until carrots are very tender. Remove from heat and let cool.

3. Working in batches, pour soup in blender (or use immersion blender) and process until smooth.

4. At this point, you can stir in the salt, pepper and honey and serve the soup as is. But we prefer our soup hot, so I returned the creamy soup into the pot to boil again. When hot, laddle into individual soup bowls. Top with a tablespoon of wasabi cream and chopped green onions.

5. To make wasabi cream, blend wasabi powder to the sour cream in a bowl. (I prepared the wasabi cream while the soup was simmering in step 2).



The whole family loved this soup! It is colorful, flavorful, and delicious and filling. The kids cannot even taste the vegetable in it. I love it because it is made from carrots, which everybody knows is a healthy vegetable.

Sharing this healthy and flavorful soup with the Souper Soup Challenge of Running with Tweezers. Check out her blog for more lovely and healthy soup recipes!

13 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

What beautiful color! I'm going to make this for our weekend guests. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Blessings...Mary

Anonymous said...

This looks wonderful! Thanks for taking part :)

Lori Lynn said...

The soup sounds great but that wasabi cream really kicks it up a notch!
LL

Beachlover said...

wow! the soup name sound interesting!! curry and wasabi!!pretty color too!

Oggi said...

I love the colors and the wasabi sounds really exciting and yummy.

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

I like the addition of wasabi cream to this. Delish!

Anonymous said...

Curry is so nice in pumpkin soup. I see why it would go well with the carrot too. Was the wasabi cream very hot?

Ivy said...

I love the carrot soup but I must say I only tried wasabi once and it was such a bad experience I don't think I'll dare to try it again (lol) fire was coming out of my ears.

Unknown said...

it does look and sound interesting :)

Noob Cook said...

Woah, what an interesting mix of ingredients. The soup looks rich and delicious :)

Soli Deo Gloria said...

Hi Mary! I hope your soup will turn out great! :)

Hello Tami! Am excited to see the round-up!

Thanks Lori Lynn! The wasabi cream was wonderful! :)

Soli Deo Gloria said...

Hi Lesley! The soup is very interesting - in name and in flavor! Even the kids love it! :)

Hi Oggi! Yup, there's just something about wasabi. :)

Thanks JS! :)

Welcome Arwen! I suppose many people are not used to the hotness of the wasabi. You can lessen the amount and add it little by little up to the degree you can take. :)

Soli Deo Gloria said...

Hello Ivy! Actually, there is a technique for eating wasabi. You have to stop your breath for a few seconds while your tongue is tasting the wasabi. This is so that "fire" will not come out of your ears (and nose)! ha ha ha! :)

Thanks Mikky!

Hi Noobcook! I agree that the ingredients are interesting. That was why I had this recipe bookmarked :)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs