Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Shrimp Veracruzana



I have this recipe in my old recipe notebooks (pre-blogging days) but I have not tried it yet until now. I am truly sorry that I do not remember where the recipe came from. Before food blogging, I never bothered to write down the sources of my recipes, because I thought it was only for my personal use. Nowadays, I truly take care to note down the recipe source. Because I know, if I am sharing the recipe with the world, I have to acknowledge the source. And now, I am sharing a recipe with you, which is not mine and I do not know where I got it. :(

But I do know that the recipe originated from Veracruz, Mexico. Because that is the name of the dish! :D

I know we associate chillies and beans and tacos with Mexican food. So, this recipe (with a little amount of jalapeno peppers) is a delightful find. Since Veracruz is a large port city, they have lots of ocean-fresh seafood. Seafood with jalapeno is one of this region's trademark dishes.


2 T olive oil
1 bay leaf
1 onion, cut into eights
2 jalapeno peppers, sliced (more or less, depending on taste)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 kilo shrimps, peeled, tails intact
2 medium tomatoes, diced
salt and pepper, to taste


1. Heat oil in a non-stick wok or skillet. Add onion, and cooked until softened. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add the bay leaf, tomatoes, jalapenos and cook for about 3 minutes until tomatoes are softenend.

2. Stir in the shrimps. Cover and cook until pink. Stir for a while, season to taste. Remove from fire, remove bay leaf and serve while warm.



Sharing this dish with the Regional Recipes community, launched by Darlene of Blazing Hot Wok. This month's recipes features Mexican dishes. Host of the month is Wandering Chopsticks. Please check out her site after the 15th for the round-up of delicious Mexican dishes.

15 comments:

tigerfish said...

So,it is a Mexican dish, I suppose. There are so many ways to cook shrimps and I am sure I have not tried this one.

Mary Bergfeld said...

I have a recipe very similar to this. Yours sounds delicious.

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy!! I would add lots and lots of jalapenos!!

lubnakarim06 said...

Wow shrimps are my favourite. Looks yum.

Anonymous said...

That looks so delicious and so simple to make. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I will definitely try it.

Wandering Chopsticks said...

Such a simple and healthy shrimp dish.

Prior to blogging, I didn't pay attention to where recipes came from either. I just tore off pages from magazines and saved them into a folder.

Beachlover said...

your shrimp is calling my name!! look scrumptious!! I notice you like to cook shrimp eh?

Jescel said...

this looks very good.. i love shrimps!

Ivy said...

Today I've been seeing a lot of shrimp recipes. This is right up my alley and it sounds delicious.

test it comm said...

That shrimp looks good!

dp said...

Ning, this looks truly delicious and healthy! Now if I can only get my kid to eat shrimp.

We're going to Mexico in June and I plan to eat as much seafood as possible. I can't wait!

Soli Deo Gloria said...

Hi Tigerfish! This dish is something new for me as well. :) This is what I love about blogging and joining food events, I get to try something new!!!

Thanks Mary! Can't wait to see your recipe!

Thanks Galatians! I would add more jalapenos, except that my kids would be sharing this meal with us... and they can't take too hot a dish... :)

Soli Deo Gloria said...

Thanks Lubna! :)

Hi Jonnek! I hope you let me know your feedback on the dish! :)

Hello WC! I'm so happy am not alone... ha ha ha!

Soli Deo Gloria said...

Hi Lesley! Well... yeah, we love shrimps. Specially my daughter! and seafood are not expensive here. :)

Thanks JEscel! :) Shrimps are so tasty, who would not love them? (Ooops, apologies to those with allergies...)

Thanks Ivy!

Soli Deo Gloria said...

Thanks Kevin!

Hi Darlene! Have a happy trip to Mexico!!! :)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs