Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Whole Wheat Loaf - Part 2



Since baking my first bread (you can read about the whole-wheat loaf experience here), I have been baking all our breads. Believe me, it is not hard to do at all. I am so very happy I conquered my fear of yeast baking. Contrary to what you might think, it does not take a long time either, well, at least the preparation and kneading part is not that long. The time that might be considered long is only the waiting time for the dough to rise (an hour or two). But while waiting, you can do some other chores like cleaning the dishes or sweeping the floor. The last time I waited for the dough to rise, I was able to wash all the children's (one week) school uniforms! :D

I realized though, that I have not posted my progress. From the first baking experience of the bread loaf, I learned that I used the smaller recipe for my big loaf pan. So, now, I am posting the larger recipe, which I am now using for my loaf pan. This time, the dough rose up beautifully over the rim, making my bread look more like a square loaf, more like it is "professionally" done. :) And it tastes oh-so-good!





Recipe from The Bread Book by Sara Lewis

2 and 1/4 C whole wheat flour
2 and 1/4 C all-purpose flour
4 t caster sugar (or fine white sugar)
1 and 1/2 t salt
2 and 3/4 t fast action dried yeast
3 T canola oil (can substitute olive oil)
1 and 3/4 C warm water


1. Mix the flours, sugar, salt and yeast in a large bowl. Add the oil and gradually mix in enough warm water to make a soft dough.

2. Knead well on a lightly floured surface for 10 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic. Put into a greased loaf pan. Cover loosely with oiled clingfilm and leave in a warm place to rise for an hour. (Sometimes, while finishing some other chores I leave it for more than an hour, but not more than two.)

3. Remove the clingfilm and bake in a preheated oven at 400F for 30 - 35 minutes. Check for doneness. Bread is done when top is browned and sounds hollow when tapped with fingertips. Transfer to wire rack to cool.




Sharing this simple homemade bread loaf with Homemade #2 featuring Breads, over at Ben of What's Cooking? Please check out his site at the end of the month for the different kinds of homemade bread we can all try to make!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Homemade is always the best!! Besides, there are no preservatives and additives. :)

Anonymous said...

Looks wonderful. Looking forward to checking out more bread baking from you :)

Soli Deo Gloria said...

Thanks Galatians! That is why I have been baking our bread since... :)

Thanks Ben! I confess I have not checked on the round-up yet. :)

Thanks Jude! Your baking is more professional! I am looking to yours!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs