Saturday, May 3, 2008

Stuffed Tilapia



This dish is actually called Pinaputok na Tilapia. To translate that to English, it would say, Exploding Tilapia. Wouldn't that be interesting? Or maybe, Bursting Tilapia would also be appropriate because we stuff the belly with a lot of things until it is already bursting with goodies and flavors... Did I mention this dish is very healthy and nutritious too?

1 large whole tilapia, around half a kilo
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 tomatoes, deseeded, chopped
4 slices ginger
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 T soy sauce
1 T oil

1. Clean the tilapia well. Make a slit in the belly.

2. Mix the onion, garlic, tomatoes and ginger. Add some salt and put this mixture inside the belly cavity of the fish. Also put some mixture inside the head cavity.

3. Cut out a foil big enough to cover and wrap the whole fish. Place the fish on top of the foil.

4. Sprinkle salt and freshly ground pepper on both sides of the fish.

5. Spread the soy sauce and oil on both sides of the fish.

6. Fold and enclose the fish inside the foil.

7. Steam or broil until cooked, around 15 to 20 minutes.

8. To serve, open the foil packet carefully. It is hot inside and you might get burned by the steam.




I am submitting this dish to Ginny's Dollar Dish Duel. I think this is a noteworthy event. Every CEO (read: housewife or househusband in charge of the kitchen) of each household should be able to come out with delicious, nutritious dishes but within the family budget too! Of course, living on this side of the globe has its advantages. Food are cheaper! So, to be fair, I am limiting myself to only $2. How does that sound?

As I am writing this, the exchange rate of US dollar to Philippine Peso is 1 is to 43. It fluctuates daily though, ranging from 41 - 43. So, I am using the higher exchange rate. This is how much this dish costs here:

In Philippine Peso:

1/2 K whole Tilapia : 40
1 onion : 1
1 pc garlic : 1
ginger : 2
tomatoes : 4
(salt, pepper, soy sauce from my pantry)

Total Cost : 48 pesos

That's only $ 1.12 !!! Yippeee!!! And I was able to feed one Hubby and two picky kids with this dish.

The reason I am able to keep within the limit is that I chose a more affordable fish. Fish fillets and other types of fish like milkfish and grouper are more expensive. But it does not mean that it is less nutritious than the other cuts and types of fish. For more Tilapia recipes, please click here.

This is indeed a challenging event. Maybe next time, I should limit myself to only $1.

4 comments:

A Scientist in the Kitchen said...

I like stuffed tilapia, too!

Ginny said...

Awesome! It looks great! I am so glad you could participate! :)

Anonymous said...

I love Tilapia. It's very popular here in Vancouver. That dish is awesome. It will probably taste better if wrapped in banana leaves.

Online Pharmacy no prescription said...

Excellent, thanks for the recipe, I'm like a asian people or a cat, i love fish sometimes i even had eat fish for breakfast hahaha

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs