Saturday, December 22, 2007

Japanese Salad Dressings



My original Bible Study cum Discipleship group decided to have a Japanese theme for our Christmas party this year. For potluck, somebody already volunteered Chicken Teriyaki. Another volunteered the ever-popular Tempura. Another is bringing California Maki. Still another volunteered the Cold Soba noodles. I was already running out of "popular" dishes to bring, so I did my search of Japanese recipes on the internet.

I decided to bring a vegetable dish to complement the carbohydrate and meat dishes. Hubby, by the way, also requested for a light salad dish. And when I searched the internet for a salad recipe, I was pleasantly surprised to find a variety of salad dressings available.

I just bought and washed and dried romaine lettuce, cleaned and sliced some cucumbers, salad tomatoes, white onions. Added some sliced crabsticks and grapes. Then made three dressings which I got from the about.com website. And everybody enjoyed these "home-made" dressings. Here are the recipes girls!

Creamy Sesame Salad Dressing

2 T ground white sesame seeds
1 t rice vinegar
1 t sesame oil
1 t sugar
1 t soy sauce
1 t grated onion
2 t mayonnaise

Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Add mayonnaise as you like. This recipes makes 2 servings.


Wasabi Salad Dressing

1 T soy sauce
1 t wasabi paste
1/2 t sesame oil
3 T rice wine vinegar
1 T sugar

Whisk everything together. Cool dressing in the refrigerator until ready to serve. adjust amount of wasabi and sugar depending on your preference.



Sesame Salad Dressing

3 T rice wine vinegar
1 T sesame oil
1 T soy sauce
1 t sugar
1 t ground sesame seeds

Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Makes 2 servings.



Note: The above recipes were the exact instructions from the About.com website. For the potluck, I made a big batch of each dressing and just adjusted the taste accordingly.

Next year, we agreed on Italian theme, so I better do my search ahead of time...

No comments:

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs