Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Roast Pork with Potato Noodles Soup



On busy weeknights, noodle soup is one of my favorite dishes to make. It is easy to prepare, as long as I have broth. Everything comes together easily. Just boil the broth, add the noodles and the cooked meat (or seafood), and lastly the vegetables. It makes for one satisfying dinner.

That is why I always have home-made broth on hand. Pork bones, chicken bones are cheap. I buy them weekly and make a big batch of broth once or twice a week. I freeze the soup in portions. I simply take out a portion or two when needed.

However, the soup or the roast pork is not the main star of the dish today. The soup is made from homemade pork broth. The roast pork is simply our left-over take-out from a Chinese restaurant. The star today is the potato noodle. Have you heard of potato noodle?

It looks like the Japanese ramen cooked or uncooked. The packaging of the noodles when I bought it also looks similar to the Japanese ramen, but the label says it is potato noodle. Since the other words in the packaging were in Korean, I could not confirm if it is indeed noodles made from potato flour. I have a strong suspicion that it is.

The difference is in the taste and texture. It is not salty like the ramen, and the texture is chewy, more like the chap chae (Korean glass noodles). Hubby, who loves noodles declared this the better quality noodle. It is certainly worth buying and cooking again and again.


3 packs (350gms) potato noodles (Korean)

4 C pork broth (substitute with any broth you have available)
250 gms roast pork, sliced
3 pcs shiitake mushrooms, soaked, sliced
salt and pepper
green onions, chopped


1. Boil the broth in a dutch oven or wok. When boiling, add in shiitake mushrooms
and roast pork. Let boil for 15 - 20 minutes until mushrooms and pork are softened.

2. Add in the noodles and cook for 4 minutes (according to package directions). Season with salt and pepper. Ladle into individual serving bowls and top with chopped green onions.



Sharing this potato noodle dish with the Presto Pasta Nights community, one of my favorite food events, because we do usually have pasta every week. (Though, I cannot post the same recipes all over again :). I was feeling lousy when I missed the 100th edition of the Presto Pasta Nights but I am here for the event's second birthday!!! Yippee!!! Congratulations to Ruth of Once Upon a Feast for one of the food blogging world's long-running weekly event!

11 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a great dish. I especially appreciate the instructions for pork stock.

Jescel said...

wow.. haven't had potato noodles. i'm sure i'll try this when i find it in the asian market. i love soup too.. it's a one pot dish, so you don't need to do a whole lot of washing when cooking it.

Ruth Daniels said...

I am glad you made it to this Presto Pasta Night birthday bash - and every other time you get a chance to make it.

I'll definitely have to hunt for some potato noodles too.

Ivy said...

Thanks to introducing us to potato noodles, I also never heard of them before. Your soup sounds delicious.

Jin Hooi said...

potato noodles sound really yummy !! I love noodle soup, but my picky hubby doesn't like noodles nor soup .. so i hardly cook noodle soup at home ..

tigerfish said...

Almost like char siu ramen....goodness in a bowl.

Anonymous said...

I love potato noodles! There's just something really special about the chewiness.

Soli Deo Gloria said...

Thanks, Mary! Making pork stock is easy and convenient!

Hi Jescel! I do hope you get to try the potato noodle! You'll surely love it!

Hi Ruth! Happy 2nd birthday to PPN!

Soli Deo Gloria said...

Hi, Ivy! I hope you can find potato noodles in your Asian grocery! :)

Hi, Jin Hooi! The texture of potato noodle is different. Maybe Hubby will like it if he tries it! :)

Thanks Tigerfish! You're right! Char siu in a bowl.

Hello Midge! I am so glad you are familiar with the noodles! :)

Noob Cook said...

What a great idea to make broth in advance. Your soup noodles look rick and delicious :D

Soli Deo Gloria said...

Thanks Noobcook!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs