Sunday, December 16, 2007

Coffee Jelly



Since I am the only coffee addict in our family, it is quite inconvenient, not to mention impractical to make this dessert just for my own consumption. So, I tried to serve this at our church's Couples@Work Fellowship. It was a big hit with the members! Some asked for second servings, some asked for the left-overs to take home, some asked for the recipe.

The version I served them was a bit strong. I think it was because I added coffee liquour. (Somebody gave us a bottle of Kahlua and well, since I do not drink, I add a tablespoon or two of liquour to some of my baked goodies, when appropriate.) If you prefer desserts without the spike, simply omit the liquour. But I assure you, the liquour really adds flavor. If you do not have coffee liquour, you can use brandy.

1 box unflavored gelatin
1/4 c lukewarm water
1/2 c white sugar
1 drop vanilla
2 c coffee (2c lukewarm water + 1 T instant coffee)
1 T coffee liquour (I use Kahlua)

1. Mix the gelatin and water. Set aside for a while to allow the gelatin to bloom.

2. Combine sugar and coffee and bring to a boil. Add the gelatin and heat just until gelatin is dissolved. Remove from heat.

3. Stir in liquour and vanilla. Pour into an 8 inch pan or any gelatin moulder and allow gelatin to set. Chill in the refregerator. Meanwhile, make the topping.

1 pack (250ml) all-pupose cream, well chilled
4 T white sugar
cornflakes

1. Whip chilled cream, using an electric mixer, gradually adding sugar. Continue whipping until cream is slightly stiff. Chill until ready to serve.

2. To serve, Cut gelatin into cubes. Spoon into wine glasses. Top with whipped cream. Sprinkle corn flakes on top.

Note: Instead of whipped cream, we can use vanilla or even mocha ice cream. Another variation would be to use chocolate shavings instead of cornflakes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

keen to try this out - i am a self confessed black coffee addict. how much is grams is one packet of gelatine? thanks for your help.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs