Friday, February 6, 2009

Tofu with Spicy Minced Pork and Mushrooms



Are you familiar with the spicy canned minced pork with mushroom? In Hokkien (Fujian Chinese dialect), we call it "Ba Chiu." This canned product is very versatile. Though, I would usually stir fry the spicy pork in a little garlic and then top it on tofu for a quick deliciously spicy dinner.

One day, I had this one good block of tofu and I wanted to make this "Ba Chiu." However, my pantry ran out of this canned pork! What to do? I made my own home made version of Spicy Minced Pork - "Ba Chiu."


300 gms lean ground pork, marinate in
2 T soy sauce
dashes of ground pepper (as much as you like)
a few drops of sesame oil
1 T cornstarch

5 T canola oil
5 pcs dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in hot water for 1 hour, drained, sliced
5 T minced garlic
1 onion, chopped
2 pcs green long peppers (siling haba) or finger chillies or bird's eye chillies, chopped
1 T soy sauce
1 T oyster sauce
dash of sesame oil, optional
salt and pepper to taste
green onions, chopped

1 block tofu


1. Heat up the oil in a wok or a cooking pan. Saute the onions until caramelized and soft. Saute the garlic until fragrant.

2. Add the marinated ground pork. Cook for a while until meat changes color. Add in the mushrooms. Stir for a while and add in the chillies (more or less, depending on your preference). Add in the soy sauce and oyster sauce. Sitr for a while. Cover and simmer until meat is cooked through.

3. Add in the chopped green onions. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with sesame oil.

4. In a microwavable serving dish, heat up the tofu for 30 seconds; until just warm. Top with the cooked ground pork mixture. Serve hot with jasmine rice.





No more canned spicy pork for me. This is a very healthy and delicious dish, made with all natural ingredients. The kids love this dish. It is flavorful and fragrant. Soft and easy to chew (yes, my kids are lazy;)

This is also an easy to prepare dish, made with ingredients readily available in our pantry. Well, probably except for the dried mushrooms. You can omit the dried mushrooms or substitute fresh mushrooms. The dish will still be delicious! Dried mushrooms are easily available in Asian groceries.

Sharing this healthy tofu dish with the Monthly Mingle community, a foodie event by What's Cooking and What's For Lunch Honey. This month features healthy family dinners. Please check out the What's Cooking blog for the round-up after February 9.

17 comments:

test it comm said...

This sounds really tasty!

Unknown said...

hmmm... lovely... perfect for plain congee or white rice... :)

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

My mother would say "ba chiu" but I don't think I actually had this canned pork product before. In any case, I know now how delicious it can be homemade so no need for these canned products. Looks good!

Lori Lynn said...

I vote for the homemade version!
LL

Beachlover said...

this tofu dish is one of my daughter favourite food!!

Noob Cook said...

home cooked minced pork is definitely more healthy and less salty than the canned ones. I love this tofu dish, very comfort food :)

tigerfish said...

One of my favs anytime!

Oggi said...

Homemade gets my two thumbs up too!

We love tofu and your dish sounds delicious. I'll bookmark it. Thanks for sharing.:)

Ivy said...

I've never tried tofu before but I would agree that I would prefer the homemade port as well.

Unknown said...

HEhe, this is like Indonesian's mun tahu. One of my favorite comfort foods of all time ^_^

Soli Deo Gloria said...

Thanks Kevin!

That's a great idea Mikky! Perfect for congee!

Thanks JS! home-made is the best!

Thanks Lori Lynn!

Soli Deo Gloria said...

Hello Lesley! It is good news that your daughter loves healthy food!

Yes, Noobcook, it is our comfort food as well... that was why I had a craving for it... :)

Hi Tigerfish! This is also turning out to be Hubby's favorite.

Soli Deo Gloria said...

Thanks Oggi! I hope you enjoy this when you get to try it!

Hi Ivy! Tofu is a very healthy food. I hope you get to taste it at least once :)

Hi Rita! I remember my grandmother would cook something like this. Maybe they have the same cooking teacher? he he... :)

pigpigscorner said...

Love this dish, perfect with white rice!

KC said...

I make the homemade version too. We eat it with noodles.

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favor that I can eat along with a big bowl of rice or even more sometimes (blushed)

Soli Deo Gloria said...

Thanks Pigspigcorner! Simple dish but lots of taste!

That's a great idea, KC!

I agree Chumpman! This is one of the family's comfort dishes as well... :)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs