Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Oven Baked Zucchini Fries



We stopped eating French Fries when news came out that they are full of transfat. Actually, we generally avoid anything deep-fried nowadays. Ok, ok, perhaps once in a while, but I promise, only very rarely. What to do when you crave for fries? Instead of giving in immediately, look for substitutions.

I have heard of Zucchini Fries. Zucchini is a vegetable (though technically, it is a fruit, according to Wiki). So, Zucchini must be good. It is low in calories, contains some folate, potassium and Vitamin A.

I googled for the recipe, but most have a tempura-like batter. And deep fried. I got some ideas here and there, and here is what I came out with:


1 medium-sized zucchini, julienned
salt, ground black pepper, cayenne pepper (optional)

1/4 C all-purpose flour
1/4 C cornmeal

olive oil for spraying


1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a cookie sheet or large baking pan with olive oil.

2. Season the julienned zucchinis with salt, and peppers. Let rest for 15 minutes.

3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour and cornmeal. Add in the marinated zucchinis, coating all pieces. Lay each piece of coated zucchini on the tray. Do not overlap. Bake for 20 mintes or until golden brown.


The result? Delicious fries! Crunchy on the outside, soft in the inside. Just serve it while it is fresh from the oven. When cooled, the crunchy crust becomes soft as well...




Sharing these delicious, healthy crunchies with the Weekend Herb Blogging community, headed by Haalo of Cook (Almost) Anything At Least Once. This week's host is Rachel of The Crispy Cook. To see last week's delectable dishes, please check out the round-up done by Pam of the Backyard Pizzeria.

17 comments:

Beachlover said...

what a healthy vegetables you baked! great entery!

Unknown said...

hey, this is a great idea... lovely snacks... :)

Rachel said...

Can't wait to try this recipe when my garden is overflowing with zucchini next summer! Thanks for submitting this recipe to Weekend Herb Blogging.

Lo said...

We absolutely LOVe zucchini fries. In fact, they're one of our favorite things to do with all the summer bounty from the backyard garden!

tigerfish said...

Woops, I still like french fries once in a while!

Lori said...

These are my kind of fries. Guilt free enjoyment with minimal calorie expenditure. Your blog is beautiful. I am glad you stopped by my blog.

Usha said...

What a delightful and wholesome substitute for other fries, love it will keep this in mind when I start craving french fries :-)

Anonymous said...

First time here.. U have got such a neat place here & this fries are gorgeous! I love zuchchini, & what a cool idea!

Laurie Constantino said...

I love zucchini fries, but I've never tried them oven-baked. What a great idea!

Noob Cook said...

What a unique recipe! I so gonna try this out :D

Soli Deo Gloria said...

Thanks Lesley! I suppose we should try something light after the holiday eating :)

Thanks Mikky!

Hello Rachel! Its one of the advantage of living in a tropical country. We get zucchinis whole year round. :)

Soli Deo Gloria said...

Hi Lo! I'm glad these healthy treats are your favorites, too! :)

Ha ha ha Tigerfish! Just like me! :)

Thanks Lori! I enjoy your blog, too! :)

Hi Usha! Hope you get to try it! :)

Soli Deo Gloria said...

Thanks Soma! and welcome! :)

You've got to try the oven baked version, Laurie, it's definitely healthier! :)

Thanks Noobcook! Let me know how yours will turn out. :)

Maggie said...

This looks great! All the recipes I found had cheese in the breading. I have to give your version with cornmeal a try.

Soli Deo Gloria said...

Thanks Maggie! Let me know how yours will turn out. :)

Katerina said...

I tried these but had trouble getting them to brown. Any suggestions?

oviya said...

Hi, probably our entry may be off topic but anyways, I have been surfing around your blog and it looks very professional.

It’s obvious you know your topic and you appear fervent about it. I’m developing a fresh blog plus I’m struggling to make it

look good, as well as offer the best quality content. I have learned much at your web site and also I anticipate alot more

articles and will be coming back soon. Thanks you.


Baking Oven

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs