Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Apple Tart (Tarte Aux Pommes)



Here in Asia, when you say French cooking, it is either associated with wine as an ingredient in cooking, or the methodology is as complicated and as difficult as the dishes' pronunciation. :)

So, I set out to find recipes that have no wine, and very simple to prepare. As always, this blog would like to focus on easy-to-prepare recipes that are healthy; delicious and yet takes only a fraction of the time it would take to prepare complicated so-called-gourmet dishes. Another reason to find simple, fuzz-free recipe is that, admittedly, I do not have as much free time to experiment (like last year). :)


3 pcs apples, peeled, cored, sliced
3 T butter
1 T sugar

for the pastry, I halved the pate brisee recipe I used here.

1 C all-purpose flour
1/4 t salt
1/2 C cold butter
2 T cold water


1. Melt butter in the saucepan, add the sugar and apple slices. Simmer gently until softened.

2. For the pastry, cut the butter into the flour with a pastry cutter or a large tinned fork until mixture resembles a coarse sand. Sprinkle water evenly over the mixture and toss gently a few times until the dough holds together.

3. Roll the pastry out flat and put in a tart pan. Crimp the edges. Prick the dough with a fork.

4. Spread the apple slices on the pastry, reserving the syrup (from cooking the apples). Bake in a hot oven (400F) for about 20 to 30 minutes, until apples and dough are slightly golden brown.

5. Pour the remaining syrup from cooking the apples on to the tart and return to the oven for 5 minutes.





6. You can serve the tart on its own or with creme chantilly (whipped cream). Or with scoops of ice cream like what I did. :)


Result? A lovely and impressive dessert that is easy to make. The kids devoured it in no time. :)





Sharing this delicious dessert with the Regional Recipes community, headed by Darlene of Blazing Hot Wok. This month, featuring French dishes, is hosted by Susan of Open Mouth, Insert Fork. To see last month's delicious Thai dishes, please check out the round-up here.

10 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

Ning, this looks just luscious!

Dee said...

Yay! A dessert! And a very nice looking one at that! I like my pies and tarts with good sized pieces of fruit, just like you've made it.

tigerfish said...

Can I indulge in this?

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean about what some people think of when you say French cooking. Love the simplicity of the recipe.

Unknown said...

wow... looks so lovely... :)

Anonymous said...

I love apples!! What a nice post!!

Noob Cook said...

I haven't baked a tart/pie before but it looks really fun. Yours are so beautiful.

anudivya said...

That is so pretty Ning... I love the presentation too.

Soli Deo Gloria said...

Thanks, Mary! The kids loved it! :)

Hello Darlene! I guess I was too lazy to cut them into smaller bits? :D

Hey Tigerfish! It is made from fruits! So we can indulge! :D

Oh, Jude, I forgot to mention that we also associate French cooking with exotic and expensive ingredients like escargot, truffles, foie gras ... :)

Soli Deo Gloria said...

Thanks Mikky! Thanks Galatians! The best thing is that it is easy to prepare as well!

Thanks Noobcook! I am not much of a baker either. Blogging has challenged me to expand my culinary repertoire :)

Thanks Anudivya! :D

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs