Thursday, May 21, 2009

Whole Wheat Pizza with Shrimps, Olives and Tomato Pesto



It is pizza for dinner again! :)

After making my very first pizza, I found out that home-made pizza is not only delicious - it is better tasting than store-bought pizza. Plus, it is quite easy to do. Of course it will take some time for the dough to rise, so you have to plan and allot some time for that. But other than that, there should be no problem at all. And you will be able to save some money because store-bought ones are not exactly cheap!

Another big plus factor is that I got the kids to help me with the pizza making. Since pizza is something they love to eat, they are quite excited to help out in the kitchen. Daughter did the kneading this time. And being not used to exerting her muscles, :) she said that she realized it was not easy, but that it was good exercise!

I was ready and excited to experiment with different toppings and different types of flour for the dough. Here is my first experiment using whole wheat flour for the pizza dough and shrimp tomato pesto for the toppings - all the ingredients that my family loves!


For the dough:

3 and 1/2 C whole wheat flour
1 t salt
1 t caster sugar
1 and 1/2 t instant dried yeast
3 T olive oil
1 C warm water

For the topping:

1 C tomato pesto
1/3 C sliced pitted black olives
1 C cooked, boiled (peeled) shrimps
5 T minced garlic
4 T chopped basil leaves
salt and pepper
4 T olive oil


1. In a big bowl, mix together the flour, salt, sugar and yeast. Add the oil and gradually mix in enough warm water to make a soft dough.

2. Knead well on a lightly floured surface for 5 to 10 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic. Put the dough back into the bowl, cover loosely with oiled clingfilm and leave in a warm place to rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size.

3. Grease the pizza pan (I also used olive oil). Tip the dough over to the pizza pan, and use hands to spread and shape the dough to cover the pan. I have read somewhere that using a rolling pin would alter the texture of the pizza crust. It should look like this:




4. Spread some tomato pesto (I used store-bought this time), then add boiled, peeled shrimps, chopped raw garlic, sliced pitted, black olives, chopped sweet basil. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. I wrote down n estimated amount that we used. But the amount of topping actually depends on how much you prefer. I also drizzled the top with additional olive oil so that it will not dry out. It looks like this:




5. Let rest for 30 minutes, to let the dough rise again. Bake in a preheated oven at 425 F for 8 to 10 minutes.

Because I used quick-melt mozzarella, I had to add in the grated mozarella cheese at the 8 minute mark, returned the pizza to the oven and baked the pizza for 2 minutes more until cheese are all bubbly and melted.

6. Slice and serve immediately.




Please note the difference in oven temperature and baking time between my first pizza and this second pizza. In the first pizza, I used 375F with a longer baking time. This time, I used 425F with a shorter baking time. With this slightly higher temperature, I was able to get a nice crust - which is crunchy on the outside and soft in the inside.

Sharing another delicious pizza with the Bake Your Own Bread community, headed by Sandy at the Baker's Bench. Check out what the BYOB gang have been baking at the Sandy's site by the end of the month.

15 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

This looks so good! There is not a thing in this pizza that I don't like.

Lori Lynn said...

Looks great. I love making pizza with my nephews. They prefer pepperoni.
LL

Ivy said...

I have never made pizza with whole wheat yet not did I make pizza with shrimps. This is certainly something I would like to try.

Amy said...

OOOOh, this looks wonderful! I can't wait to try it.

amy@maisonbelle

Noob Cook said...

argh, the melting cheese makes me go weak and hungry. So delicious. As u can guess I haven't eaten breakfast yet ;p

Galatians 5 :22 said...

Yummy!! Love ur pizza, but i have no patience to bake my own crust. I usually buy store-made ones...

tigerfish said...

Your pizza is loaded! Yum!

My Asian Kitchen said...

beautifully done!! I wanna a piece please!!

Jescel said...

Yum, yum, yum! love the whole wheat crust.. that is one delish looking pizza. Now, do you deliver? Hahahhaa... I got shrimp on my latest post too :o)

Soli Deo Gloria said...

Thanks, Mary! We love this pizza! :)

Hi Lori Lynn! My kids prefer the pepperoni, too! I made that flavor the first time I made pizza. :)

Hello, Ivy! Whole wheat pizza crust is a lot healthier! Hope you can try it! :)

Soli Deo Gloria said...

Thanks, Amy! Hope you drop by again! :)

Oh, Noobcook! We love cheese, too! That's why I add a lot to our pizza! :)

Hi Galatians! Homemade is better! Promise!

Soli Deo Gloria said...

Thanks, Tigerfish!

Hello Asian Kitchen! You're welcome to try! :) I wish I can serve you some!

Hello Jescel! Yes! I deliver if you live next door... ha ha ha!!! You know, this was what my friends said as well when I let them taste this pizza! :D

Tenina said...

Inspirational for pizza lovers...that's what is on our dinner menu tonight, thanks to you!

HyperBaby143 said...

Wow!!!!!!!!!!! Pizza!! I love western food most of all!! :D

Soli Deo Gloria said...

Thanks, Tenina! I'm glad you like it!

Hello Hyperbaby! Glad you dropped by! :)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs